A nice hearty summer soup, this is a minestrone without the pasta, but quinoa instead, and as usual packed full of tasty veg.
Ingredients: 2 shallots, 2 cloves of garlic, stick of celery, 4-5 new potatoes, 1 carrot, 100g runner beans, sprig of oregano, a few basil.
From the Larder: 100g quinoa, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, 1 tin of water, salt, pepper, oil, and grated Parmesan (optional: crusty bread).
- Peel and chop the shallots and dice the garlic. In a heavy bottomed pan, add a glug of oil and start to sauté on a low heat.
- Chop the carrot and celery into small cubes and add to the pan.
- Chop the potatoes into small chunks and add to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook it all for about 7 minutes until softening.
- Slice the runner beans into 2cm pieces on the diagonal.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes and then, using the tomato tin, add a tin of water and then the quinoa, runner beans, and oregano leaves.
- Simmer on a low heat for about 15-20 minutes, adding more water if it gets too thick (It should be a thick soup consistency).
- Serve in bowls with grated parmesan and torn basil on top, and with optional crusty bread on the side.