A nice hearty summer soup, this is a minestrone without the pasta, but quinoa instead, and as usual packed full of tasty veg.
Ingredients: 2 shallots, 2 cloves of garlic, stick of celery, 4-5 new potatoes, 1 carrot, 100g runner beans, sprig of oregano, a few basil.
From the Larder: 100g quinoa, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, 1 tin of water, salt, pepper, oil, and grated Parmesan (optional: crusty bread).
- Peel and chop the shallots and dice the garlic. In a heavy bottomed pan, add a glug of oil and start to sauté on a low heat.
- Chop the carrot and celery into small cubes and add to the pan.
- Chop the potatoes into small chunks and add to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook it all for about 7 minutes until softening.
- Slice the runner beans into 2cm pieces on the diagonal.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes and then, using the tomato tin, add a tin of water and then the quinoa, runner beans, and oregano leaves.
- Simmer on a low heat for about 15-20 minutes, adding more water if it gets too thick (It should be a thick soup consistency).
- Serve in bowls with grated parmesan and torn basil on top, and with optional crusty bread on the side.
A goodness bowl that is here to delight. New potatoes, green beans, radishes and more, this salad is a springing singing super supper!
Ingredients: 200g potatoes, 4 spears of asparagus, 100g broad beans, 50g radishes, 1 spring onion, 40g rocket, 10g coriander, 10g basil, 5g fresh turmeric or 1 tsp powdered turmeric.
From the larder: 100g green lentils, or tin of cooked lentils, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp apple cider or white wine vinegar, 5 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp honey (optional extra: grilled salmon or a poached egg).
- If cooking lentils, place in a large pot of cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins. 10 mins into cooking, halve the potatoes and add them to the lentils. When potatoes are nearly cooked, remove the beans from their pods, add to the pot and cook for 5 mins.
- If using tinned lentils, warm them in a saucepan or the microwave.
- Combine the following in a jar or bowl: grated turmeric, chopped basil and coriander, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, pinch of salt and if you have it, a pinch of cumin powder. Whisk well to combine.
- Slice radishes and spring onion, and place in a salad bowl with the rocket.
- Cut asparagus into quarters, heat a glug of olive oil in a skillet and sauté the asparagus on a medium heat until charred and starting to soften, but not soggy.
- When lentils, potatoes, beans and asparagus are cooked, add to the salad bowl and mix in the dressing. If using, serve with grilled salmon or a poached egg.
This is a celebration of Spring in a bowl. When Spring springs, the birds sing and blossom arrives, we find it hard to think about anything other than delightful greens and salads galore. This scrumptious salad is packed with spring greens, pretty pink radishes and more…
Ingredients: 60g radishes, 200g new potatoes, 100g green beans, 1 courgette, 1 shallot, 1 clove of garlic clove, 10g basil and 10g tarragon.
From the larder: 150g rice (red, wild or brown), 5tbsp olive oil, 3tbsp white wine vinegar and 1tbsp Dijon mustard (optional: poached eggs, or grilled meat).
- Start cooking the rice. Cover with water in a saucepan. Cover, bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 or so minutes until soft.
- Top, tail and halve the green beans and roughly chop the potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes in a saucepan of water for 10 minutes until soft when poked with a knife.
- Cook the green beans by adding them to the potatoes for the last 5 minutes of their cooking.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the shallot and garlic clove, and chop the tarragon leaves. Combine in a small bowl along with the mustard and white wine vinegar and set aside.
- Grate or finely slice the courgette, thinly slice the radishes and chop the basil and place in a salad bowl. If you have a mandolin, use it to slice the courgette and radishes.
- When the rice, potatoes and green beans are cooked, add to the salad bowl and then mix in the salad dressing. Serve the salad with optional poached egg or a grilled meat addition of your choice.