Ingredients: 2 cloves garlic, ½ the shallots, 1 leek, 40g chestnut, 30g button mushrooms, sprig of lemon thyme, 125g purple sprouting broccoli.
Larder: ½ a roll of ready-made puff pastry, 45g butter + a knob of butter, 5tsp flour, 300ml milk, ½ tsp nutmeg, salt, pepper, optional egg.
• Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Thinly slice the mushrooms and the leek, strip the thyme leaves from their stems, mince the garlic and chop the shallots. Gently sauté all the veg and thyme in a knob of butter until soft and leeks transluscent – about 7 minutes.
• Meanwhile make a white sauce: melt 45g butter in a sauce pan on a low heat. Stir in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes stirring constantly so that it makes a paste or roux. Pour in the milk slowly, whisking continually until smooth. Bring to the boil, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Add the nutmeg and simmer gently for about 5 minutes.
• When the white sauce and the veggies are ready, mix together and season in the pan and then transfer into a small pie dish or loaf tin.
• Cut the pastry slightly larger than the tin you are using, place on top of the tin and press down around the edges. Fold any extra pastry over on it’s self. Make 2-3 slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape. If you have an egg, whisk and brush onto the pastry top.
• Place the pie in the oven and bake for around 25 minutes until pastry is puffed, golden and crisp.
• Just before the pie is ready, chop and steam the broccoli. Serve together.