A Christmas Pastry Parcel for the week before Christmas. This pastry is packed full of warm Christmassy flavours created by the parsnips, squash, allspice and rosemary and is accompanied by our favourite flower Sprouts.
Ingredients: 1 Shallot, 250g butternut squash, 4-5 baby parsnips or 1 normal-sized parsnip, handful of kale, 4-5 chestnuts, sprig of rosemary and 100g flower sprouts.
From the larder: 1 roll of ready-made puff pastry, 100ml cream, 1 egg, butter, ¾ tsp allspice, oil, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Peel and chop the butternut squash and chop the parsnips all into 1cm pieces. Toss in olive oil; place in a roasting tin and roast for 20 minutes.
- Pierce the chestnuts with a skewer or cut a line in the chestnut shells and place on the baking tray in the oven. Roast for 8-10 minutes and then remove from the oven. Peel the chestnuts or scoop out their flesh and chop into pieces. Set aside for the pie filling later.
- Chop the shallot and rosemary and sauté in a large sauté pan until shallots are soft. Finely chop the kale and add to the sauté pan.
- When the squash and parsnips are soft, remove from the oven and mix into the sauté pan along with the chestnuts. Beat together the allspice, egg and cream. Remove the sauté pan from the heat and stir in the egg and cream mixture.
- Unroll the pastry and place the whole sheet on a baking tray roughly 20cm x 30cm. Place the filling along the centre of the pastry lengthways. Lightly wet the edges with water and fold the pastry around the veg into tube. Brush with milk or left over egg. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until pastry is golden and crispy. While baking, steam the flower sprouts for about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve the Christmas parcel with the flower sprouts and enjoy!