Red rice has a lovely wholesome and nutty flavour, not to mention and fabulous colour. It’s combined with beetroot, rocket and delicious dressing in this tasty salad.
Ingredients: 1 and a half beetroot, 1-2 carrots, 2 runner beans, 1 spring onion, handful of rocket, small bunch of curly parsley and flat parsley and 1-2 shallots depending on size.
Larder: 200g red rice or mixture of puy lentils and red rice, 1 tsp honey, 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, juice of ½ a lemon,
(optional extras: 50g feta, grilled fish or chicken, stock cube).
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Cook the rice with 600ml of water or stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for approx 30 mins.
- Make the dressing. Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, a pinch of salt and finely minced shallots in the salad bowl, whisk to combine, adjust proportions to taste.
- Finely slice the spring onion and chop both kinds of parsley. Add to salad bowl and mix.
- Peel and grate the beetroot and carrot. Add to the salad bowl.
- Slice runner beans on the diagonal into 2cm pieces and when rice nearly ready, add them to the rice for the last 3 or so minutes of cooking. When rice cooked, drain any remaining water.
- Add to the salad bowl. Mix in the rocket and if using, crumble in the feta.
- Serve with optional grilled chicken or fish.