A scrumptious Asian noodle salad packed full of beetroot, mouli, carrots and more. All combined with a gorgeous chilli dressing, it makes for an interesting and tasty summer salad.
Ingredients: 1 romero pepper, 1 carrot, 1/2 a beetroot, 150g mouli/daikon radish, 1 spring onion, 1 garlic clove, 1 red chilli, small bunch of coriander.
Larder: 175g rice or vermicelli noodles, 60ml vegetable oil, 2 tbsp soy sauce, juice of ½ a lime, 2 tsp honey (optional extra: cooked prawns and sesame seeds).
- Deseed the chilli and then finely slice the chilli, garlic clove and spring onion. Cook in a small saucepan on med to high heat with the vegetable oil for about 3 minutes. Don’t allow to burn.
- Cook the egg noodles for 4 minutes, drain and return to the pan. Pour over the chilli oil mix, toss and let stand.
- Julienne the pepper, mouli, beetroot and carrot. To julienne your veggies, peel them if needed, and then cut into very thin planks, place the planks on top of each other and then slice them to create batons as close to matchstick size as possible.
- Chop the coriander, including stems.
- In a small bowl or glass whisk together lime, soy sauce and honey.
- Mix sauce through the noodles and then add the veg and coriander.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with optional sesame seeds and cooked prawns.
Baby parsnips are the sweetest! Not only are they tiny and cute but also lovely and sweet to taste. Combined with the star anise, this is a delicious and slightly different stir fry perfect for this time of year. Just remember that those tiny chillies will pack a punch, so use a small amount and add according to taste.
Ingredients: 1 clove of garlic, 2 shallots, 12g ginger, 1 red thai chilli, 100g cavolo nero, 1 carrot, 4-5 baby parsnips, 1 star anise, handful of fresh coriander.
From the larder: 175g egg noodles, 2 tbsp vegetable oil, 1-2 tbsp soy sauce, juice of ½ a lime (optional extras: prawns or steak and rice wine vinegar)
- Prepare all your veggies before you start cooking. Finely chop the garlic, shallots, ginger and ¼- ½ chilli. Chop the cavolo nero and slice the parsnips and carrots into thin matchsticks approximately 3 cm long.
- Start cooking the noodles at the same time as you start stir-frying the veg.
- Heat a glug of vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the star anise, shallots and chilli and stir-fry for about 1 minute and then add the steak or prawns, if using, and fry for about a minute.
- Add the carrot and parsnips and continue stir-frying for another few minutes until softening but so they still have a crunch. Finally add the cavolo nero and stir-fry until wilted. Stir in the soy sauce and if you have it a small splash of rice wine vinegar.
- Drain the noodles, and stir into the stir-frying veg for a final minute before serving.
- Remove the star anise and serve with a generous squeeze of lime and torn coriander leaves on top.
Red rice has a lovely wholesome and nutty flavour, not to mention and fabulous colour. It’s combined with beetroot, rocket and delicious dressing in this tasty salad.
Ingredients: 1 and a half beetroot, 1-2 carrots, 2 runner beans, 1 spring onion, handful of rocket, small bunch of curly parsley and flat parsley and 1-2 shallots depending on size.
Larder: 200g red rice or mixture of puy lentils and red rice, 1 tsp honey, 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, juice of ½ a lemon,
(optional extras: 50g feta, grilled fish or chicken, stock cube).
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Cook the rice with 600ml of water or stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for approx 30 mins.
- Make the dressing. Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, a pinch of salt and finely minced shallots in the salad bowl, whisk to combine, adjust proportions to taste.
- Finely slice the spring onion and chop both kinds of parsley. Add to salad bowl and mix.
- Peel and grate the beetroot and carrot. Add to the salad bowl.
- Slice runner beans on the diagonal into 2cm pieces and when rice nearly ready, add them to the rice for the last 3 or so minutes of cooking. When rice cooked, drain any remaining water.
- Add to the salad bowl. Mix in the rocket and if using, crumble in the feta.
- Serve with optional grilled chicken or fish.