This is a celebration of Spring in a bowl. When Spring springs, the birds sing and blossom arrives, we find it hard to think about anything other than delightful greens and salads galore. This scrumptious salad is packed with spring greens, pretty pink radishes and more…
Ingredients: 60g radishes, 200g new potatoes, 100g green beans, 1 courgette, 1 shallot, 1 clove of garlic clove, 10g basil and 10g tarragon.
From the larder: 150g rice (red, wild or brown), 5tbsp olive oil, 3tbsp white wine vinegar and 1tbsp Dijon mustard (optional: poached eggs, or grilled meat).
- Start cooking the rice. Cover with water in a saucepan. Cover, bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 or so minutes until soft.
- Top, tail and halve the green beans and roughly chop the potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes in a saucepan of water for 10 minutes until soft when poked with a knife.
- Cook the green beans by adding them to the potatoes for the last 5 minutes of their cooking.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the shallot and garlic clove, and chop the tarragon leaves. Combine in a small bowl along with the mustard and white wine vinegar and set aside.
- Grate or finely slice the courgette, thinly slice the radishes and chop the basil and place in a salad bowl. If you have a mandolin, use it to slice the courgette and radishes.
- When the rice, potatoes and green beans are cooked, add to the salad bowl and then mix in the salad dressing. Serve the salad with optional poached egg or a grilled meat addition of your choice.