A pretty asparagus tart that’s super simple to make, but looks fancy and fun and is accompanied by a beaut beet salad. This meal is one of our favourites.
Ingredients: 4-5 asparagus spears, 1 beetroot, 1 stick of celery(allergen), 50g bunch of rocket and 2 stems of dill.
From the larder: 1 roll of puff pastry, 100g goats cheese or feta, 1 egg, 4tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional: 1 tsp mayonnaise).
- Gather all your ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Beat the feta or goats cheese with the egg. It should be thick but easily spreadable.
- Unroll the pastry onto a small baking tray approximately 20 x 30cm. Fold over or trim off any extra pastry and score a line around the edge of the tart creating a 1-inch border.
- Cut the asparagus spears in half lengthways. Spread the egg and cheese mixture onto the pastry, lay all of the asparagus on top cut side down, season with salt and pepper and a light drizzle of oil. Bake for 15-20 mins until pastry is puffed and golden and asparagus tender.
- While the tart is baking, make the slaw: grate the beetroot and finely chop the celery. Combine in a bowl with rocket and dill leaves.
- Crumble in any remaining goat’s cheese.
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar and optional mayonnaise. Adjust proportions according to taste. Mix into the salad.
- When the tart is golden, serve slices with the beet slaw.