The sweet and savoury combinations of cinnamon roast veg, fresh mint and dates is irresistible in this dish. Chop it all up and pop it in the oven: it couldn’t be simpler!
Ingredients: 2 shallots, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 romero or bell pepper, 1/2 a sweet potato, 1 courgette, 2 dates, small bunch or sprig of mint.
From the larder: 140g couscous, 1 tbsp honey, cinnamon, 2 dollops of plain yoghurt (optional: 2 salmon fillets).
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Roughly chop the shallots, garlic & pepper and chop the sweet potato & courgette into small chunks.
- Place the veg in a roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and honey, and mix in a pinch of cinnamon.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes or until soft.
- If using salmon, place the salmon on top of the veg for the last 7-10 minutes of roasting.
- When veg is almost cooked, prepare the couscous. Place in a bowl and pour over double the volume of freshly boiled water. Cover and leave to stand for 5 minutes. For added flavour stir in half or quarter of a stock cube.
- Chop the dates and mint and add to the couscous when it’s ready.
- When veg (and salmon if using) is ready, remove from the oven, and serve on top of the couscous along with a dollop of yoghurt.