We can’t really get enough of beautiful rainbow chard and want to make the most of it before the end of the year. This is an absolutely delicious curry using chard, sweet potato, spices and yoghurt to make a healthy creamy yummy curry!
Ingredients: 2 shallots, 1 clove of garlic, 12g ginger, 10g turmeric, 1 green chilli(to taste), 1/2 a sweet potato, 80g rainbow chard, 5-6 cherry tomatoes, a small bunch of coriander.
From the larder: 150g rice or naan bread, 150g plain yoghurt, oil, ½ tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp garam masala, salt and pepper.
- Chop shallots, de-seed and finely chop the chilli. Finely chop and bash together the garlic, ginger and turmeric with a pinch of salt to make a paste.
- Chop the sweet potato into 1-2cm chunks and slice the rainbow chard stems and leaves, separating the stems and leaves.
- Start cooking the rice according to instructions or preheat the oven for the naan.
- Heat a glug of oil in a heavy bottom pan, sauté the shallots in oil for 5 minutes until soft and then add the paste, chilli and spices and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the potatoes, tomatoes and chard stems along with approximately 300ml water. Allow to simmer for approx. 15 minutes until potatoes are soft. Finally add the chard leaves and stir until wilted.
- Remove the curry from the heat and stir in the yoghurt. Return to the heat and heat gently for a few minutes to bring back to a good temperature. Be careful not to curdle the yogurt by heating it too quickly.
- When ready to serve, stir through chopped coriander and serve the curry on a bed of rice or with the naan.
One thought on “Rainbow Chard and Sweet Potato Curry”
Pingback: Sick of cooking the same old dinners? 10 tasty and healthy recipes to reinvent your favourite meals – THUD