A lovely wholesome rooty ratatouille full of leeks, carrots, parsley root, chervil root, and oregano and served with hasselback baked potatoes.
Ingredients: 1 Shallot, 1 clove of garlic, 8 new potatoes, 1 leek, 2 small carrots, 1 parsley root, 1 or 2 chervil root, sprig of oregano.
From the larder: 1 tin of tomatoes, ½-1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper, (optional extra: tin of kidney beans and a dollop of yoghurt or grated cheese).
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Heat a glug of oil in a pan. Chop the shallots and a clove of garlic, sauté for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Slice the leek and peel and chop the carrot, chervil root and parsley root into small 1-2cm chunks. Add to the pan along with another glug of oil and sweat gently for 7 or so minutes stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile make the hasselback potatoes: thinly slice half way through the potatoes at 3mm intervals, rub with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and place in the oven on a baking tray for about 25 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to hold the potatoes while you slice them.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, chopped oregano, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and pepper to the veggies. Gently simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Optional – after 20 minutes, drain, rinse and add a tin of beans to the ratatouille.
- When potatoes are golden and crispy, serve with the ratatouille. Garnish with any remaining oregano and a dollop of yoghurt or a sprinkling of grated cheese if desired.
One thought on “Winter Ratatouille with Hasselback Potatoes”
Pingback: Sick of cooking the same old dinners? 10 tasty and healthy recipes to reinvent your favourite meals – THUD