Ingredients: 2 cloves garlic, 20g galangal, 12g ginger, 1 green chilli, 1 lemon grass, 250g butternut squash, 90g cavolo nero, 2 shallots, small bunch of coriander.
Larder: 150g rice, 400ml tin coconut milk, oil, ½ stock cube, oil (optional extras: a small handful of cashews, squeeze of lime, chicken pieces).
- Make a quick curry paste: peel and mince 2 garlic cloves, ginger and galangal, deseed and finely slice the chilli. Remove the tough outer layer of the lemongrass and finely slice it. Mix it all together to make a curry paste, and if you like, use a pestle and mortar.
- Start cooking the rice according to packet instructions.
- Heat a glug of oil to a wok or sauté pan. Add the curry paste ingredients and fry on a low heat for about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the shallots and butternut squash in 1cm chunks. Add to the frying pan or wok and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes until shallots are translucent. If using, add chicken pieces and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, ¼ tin of water, ½ stock cube and a pinch of salt, simmer for 15-20 minutes until butternut squash is soft.
- About 10 minutes before serving, chop the cavolo nero, add to the curry and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the curry with rice and torn coriander leaves and if you want, a squeeze of lime on top and a handful of cashews.