Ingredients: 1 spring onion, 1 garlic clove, 2cm ginger, 1 red chilli, 60g button mushrooms, 1 carrot, 60g kale, 100g daikon, a small bunch of coriander.
Larder: 2 pints of stock, udon noodles, 1-3 tbsp soy sauce, vegetable oil.
- Thinly slice the garlic, ½ the chilli (use according to taste), ginger, spring onion, mushrooms and coriander stems.
- In a medium to large saucepan, heat a glug of oil and add the garlic, chilli, ginger, coriander stems and mushrooms. Fry gently for 2 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, slice the carrot and daikon into matchsticks and finely slice the kale so that it is shredded into very thin strips.
- Prepare the stock, add 1 tbsp soy sauce, add to the saucepan and bring to the boil and reduce to simmer.
- Add the carrot, daikon and kale to the soup and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the udon noodles to the stock and veggies and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Taste the stock and add more soy sauce if needed.
- To serve use tongs to portion out the noodles and then ladle on the stock and veggies. Garnish with coriander leaves and spring onions.