Ingredients: figs, chicory, purple carrots, walnuts (allergen), coriander, mint.
Larder: 150g Puy lentils/brown or red rice, 2 tsp honey, 4 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, pinch of salt, (optional extra: 50g goats cheese, 2 slices of bacon chopped into bits).
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Quarter the figs, peel and chop the carrots into 1cm chunks and place both in a roasting dish. Drizzle with a glug of olive oil and 2 tsp honey. Place in the oven and roast while you prepare the rest of the salad for 15-20 minutes until softening and caramelising.
- Start cooking the Puy lentils/rice or a mixture of the two according to packet instructions.
- Make a dressing by whisking together 4 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt. Cut the cheese into pieces, chop mint and coriander leaves and walnuts in small pieces.
- Break the chicory leaves from their core and slice the larger leaves in half, length ways. If using, cook the bacon pieces.
- On two plates make piles of salad starting with lentils, chicory, walnuts, coriander, mint and cheese, followed by the roasted carrots and figs and optional bacon. Pour over the dressing and serve.