Ingredients: 1 purple carrot, 150g potatoes, 1 courgette, 2 shallots, a large handful of samphire and a few sprigs of marjoram.
Larder: 4 eggs, 1-2 tbsp flour, 2 tbsp vegetable oil, salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan of freshly boiled water, bring to the boil and boil potatoes for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, into a bowl, peel and grate the purple carrot, grate the courgette and finely dice 2 shallots. Mix well.
- Drain the potatoes and run under cold water to cool enough to touch. Grate or roughly chop the potatoes and add to the bowl.
- Strip marjoram leaves from the stems. Add chopped marjoram, salt, pepper, 2 eggs, and 1-2 tbsp flour to the bowl. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. It’s hot enough when a small amount of rösti mix is dropped in the pan and sizzles. Using a quarter of the mixture for each rösti and a large spoon, dollop the mixture into the frying pan and spread out slightly to about 7-10cm in diameter. When they are golden on one side, carefully turn them over and cook until golden and crispy on the other side.
- While röstis are cooking, boil a kettle of water. Immerse the samphire in a bowl of boiled water for 2 minutes. Drain and place on plates.
- When the röstis are golden, remove from the pan and transfer to plates. You may wish to remove any excess oil with kitchen towel.
- Poach 2 eggs and serve on top of röstis and samphire.