This panzanella is a summery delight of a salad. Tart rhubarb, leafy greens, refreshing cucumber, crunchy radishes and sweet tomatoes are all topped off with crusty chunks of bread and a delicious balsamic dressing.
Ingredients: 50g rhubarb (1 stick), 1 baby cucumber, 50g radishes, 120g cherry tomatoes, 50g yellow cherry tomatoes, bunch of rocket, handful of spinach, 2 stems of mint.
From the larder: 2 slices of bread, 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp honey, salt, pepper, (optional: 3 pieces of cooked bacon).
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Roughly tear the bread into approx 3cm pieces. Lay on a baking tray and place in the oven to dry out and crisp up for about 15-20 minutes.
- Wash the rocket and spinach and place in a salad bowl.
- Quarter the cucumber lengthways and then slice the quarters into chunks. Halve the cherry tomatoes, slice the radishes and chop the mint leaves. Add all to the salad bowl.
- Slice the rhubarb very thinly (approximately .5cm or thinner) and add to the salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, honey and a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust proportions as desired.
- Pour the salad dressing over the salad and toss to dress well.
- Add the bread into the salad and briefly toss. If using bacon, chop into small pieces and add to the salad.
- Serve the panzanella in bowls and enjoy.