This a simple and delicious red lentil stew full of spinach and tomatoes and accompanied by a refreshing cucumber yoghurt and served with tasty baked potatoes.
Ingredients: 250g potatoes, 6-10 red cherry tomatoes, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 a chilli, 2 shallots, sprig of oregano, handful of spinach, 2 stems of basil, ½ cucumber.
From the larder: 80g red lentils, 1 tin chopped tomatoes, ½ cup yogurt, oil, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. To make the hasselback potatoes: thinly slice half way through the potatoes at 3mm intervals, rub with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and place in the oven on a baking tray
- Place lentils in a pot of cold water, bring to the boil and simmer until soft, approx. 10 mins.
- Chop shallots, garlic, chilli (if you like it spicy – it also tastes fine without) and sauté on a low heat until translucent and then add the tin of tomatoes.
- Chop oregano and tomatoes. Add to the pan, season and let simmer.
- When lentils are soft, drain and add to bubbling tomatoes and cook for a further 5-10 mins.
- Grate or finely chop ½ the cucumber and mix with yogurt in a bowl.
- Just before serving the lentil stew, stir in chopped spinach and basil and allow to wilt.
- Serve with hasselback potatoes and cucumber yogurt. Add grated cheese as an optional extra.
2 thoughts on “Red Lentil Stew with Hasselback Potatoes”
Pingback: Grow herbs indoors: 5 herbs that thrive inside + delicious recipes to use them in – THUD
Pingback: Vegetarian on a Budget: 5 Affordable Recipes in Honour of National Vegetarian Week 2017