We love a good one-pot wonder of a meal. This is just that – a brilliant warming stew full of veg and barley. We suggest using cider instead of stock, which gives it a lovely rich sweetness.
Ingredients: 2 cloves garlic, 2 shallots, 1 carrot, 1 bay leaf, 1 stick of celery(allergen), 150g potatoes, 70g cavolo nero, 5g thyme.
From the larder: 100g barley, 500ml cider (if you have it) or stock, plus water, 2 tsp Worcester sauce, 1 tsp honey (optional extra: sausages).
- If using, cook sausages in the oven while making the stew.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottom pan on low heat. Mince garlic, thyme, chop shallots, carrot & celery and potatoes. Add to the sauce pan along with the barley and cook for a few minutes allowing veggies to soften slightly.
- Add the cider or stock into the heavy bottom pan and then add the bay leaf, Worcester sauce, honey and a grind of black pepper.
- Chop the cavolo nero and add to the saucepan.
- Stir and leave to simmer with the lid on for 25 minutes until barley is soft, but still has a little bite. Stir occasionally and add a little water to just cover the veggies, as the barley will absorb liquid as it cooks.
- Taste and adjust seasoning before serving alone or with sausages (Toast is also a tasty accompaniment if so desired!).