This warm salad is a yummy combo of bitter and sweet flavours found in the slightly bitter chicory and a sweet cranberry dressing combined with delicate gem squash and hint of mint.
Ingredients: 1 gem squash, 150g cauliflower, 1 small head of chicory, 2 stems of mint, 40g cranberries.
Larder: 75g rice or farro, ½ -1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1-2 tbsp honey, 3 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper (optional: feta, grilled salmon or chicken).
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Peel, scoop out the seeds, and slice the gem squash into thin ½ cm rounds; break the cauliflower into small florets and place in a large roasting tin.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil, season and roast for around 20 minutes until veggies are soft and cauliflower is crisping slightly.
- Meanwhile, start cooking the rice or farro according to the packet instructions, and if using, grill the salmon or chicken.
- Make a dressing by placing cranberries in a saucepan with 150ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes until reduced by about half. Stir to break up the cranberries as they burst open. Remove from the heat and combine with 3 tbsp olive oil, ½-1 tbsp vinegar, 1-2 tbsp honey. Adjust honey and vinegar to taste.
- Cut the end of the chicory stem off and break apart the leaves. Slice the leaves down the middle. Chop the mint leaves.
- When rice or farro are cooked and roasted veggies are ready, transfer all to a salad bowl and combine together with the mint, chicory and if using, crumbled feta. Serve with optional fish or meat.