Ingredients: 2 shallots, 1 clove of garlic, 2 coriander stems, 10g turmeric, 10g ginger, 1/2 a sweet potato, 2 carrots, 2 crab apples, generous handful of kale and 1/2 a red chilli.
Larder: 650-750ml stock, 1 tin of butter beans, knob of butter, salt and pepper, glug of oil and 2 dollops of crème fraîche.
- Chop the shallots, and finely chop the garlic and coriander leaves and stems. Peel and grate or finely chop the turmeric and ginger.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, heat a knob of butter and gently sauté the shallots, garlic, turmeric, ginger and coriander stems until translucent.
- Meanwhile peel and chop the sweet potato into 1-2cm chunks. Wash and chop the carrots and crab apples (no need to deseed them).
- Add the sweet potato, carrots and crab apple to the saucepan and sauté for a few minutes while you prepare the stock.
- Add 650ml stock and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the veggies are soft.
- Add the butter beans and coriander leaves for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Add more stock if it’s too thick.
- While the stew is cooking, chop the kale and slice half the chilli on the diagonal. In a frying pan, heat another glug of oil and fry the kale and chilli on high heat until just starting to crisp. Season generously with salt.
- When the stew is ready, serve in bowls with kale and chilli on top and a dollop of crème fraîche.