Roasting tomatoes bring out their lovely sweetness which goes like magic with lentils and the salty spice of chilli and broccoli sautéed in soy sauce. This combination makes for a delicious and delightful dinner!
Ingredients: 100g cherry tomatoes, ½ -1 red chilli, 120g baby white onions, shallots or onion, 80g green beans, 150g purple sprouting broccoli, 10g basil.
Larder: 150g puy lentils, oil, salt, pepper, drizzle of balsamic vinegar (optional: 45g hazelnuts, grilled chicken or fish).
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place lentils in a saucepan with water or stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until soft.
- Halve the tomatoes and chop the pepper into chunks. Place in a roasting tin and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice brocoli into small florets and top and tail the green beans and and then cut in half or into thirds. Thinly slice half the chilli.
- Heat a frying pan Add the hazelnuts and dry toast until they start to brown and skins start peeling off. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the green veg to the hot frying pan and fry in a little oil with the chilli slices. Frying chillis releases a compound called capsaisin which gives them their spice but can also pack a punch when cooking, so make sure to open a window or 2
- Remove the tomatoes, onions from the oven and stir into the lentils,
- Serve lentils with green beans, broccoli, chilli, hazelnuts and basil torn on top. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and dig in.