A lovely warming noodle soup, this pho is brought to life with a delicious stock base starting with star anise and lemongrass packed full of fresh veg to make a great weeknight supper.
Ingredients: 1 Lemongrass, 12g ginger, 2 shallots, small bunch of coriander, 1-2 carrots, 1 pak choi, 1 star anise, a few slices of chilli (or more if you prefer), 1 spring onion.
From the larder: 100g rice noodles, 1.25L stock, 1-2 tbsp soy sauce (optional extra: tofu or beef strips).
- Make the Pho stock. Chop the shallots, ginger, coriander stalks, remove the outer layer and slice the lemongrass. Place in a saucepan with the star anise and add 1.25 litre of stock and 1 tbsp soy sauce. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer gently while you prepare the other veg.
- Chop the pak choi, separating stalks and leaves and chop carrots into thin batons. Slice and set aside ¼ of the chilli (or more if you prefer), slice the spring onion and chop the coriander leaves. If using beef strips or tofu, prepare and cook in another pan.
- When everything is chopped, add the carrots and pak choi stalks to the simmering stock and then add the noodles and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the pak choi leaves and cook for a further minute.
- Ladle into big bowls and serve with spring onions, a few chilli slices and coriander leaves and if using, beef or tofu on top.