The leaves are turning and autumn colours are beginning to show. This autumn rosti served with kale and red currants is full of colour not to mention full of flavour too!
Ingredients: 200g purple and new potatoes, 1 parsley root, 1-2 carrots, 2-3 shallots, 1 garlic clove, small bunch of tarragon, 60g red currants, a large handful of kale.
Larder: 2 eggs, 3 tsp sugar, oil salt and pepper.
- Parboil the potatoes for 5 minutes. Drain and run under the cold tap to cool them down enough to handle.
- Grate the parsley root, carrot and parboiled potatoes into a bowl. Chop tarragon leaves and add to the bowl along with 2 eggs.
- Finely dice the shallots and garlic clove. Add ¾ to the rösti bowl and set the other ¼ aside. Mix the rösti mixture well and season.
- Place the remaining chopped shallot and garlic into a small saucepan with a tsp of oil and start to sauté. Pick the red currants from their stem and add to the pan along with 3 tsp sugar. Just cover with water and simmer for a 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently until a saucy consistency. Add more water in tiny amounts if needed.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan. Using a large serving spoon, spoon out portions of rösti into the frying pan and flatten. Don’t worry if they are loose – the egg will bind the mixture together. Cook for about 3-5 minutes until golden on one side before carefully flipping over and cooking the second side. When golden and crispy on both sides, remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- Chop the kale, place in a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Cook for 3-4 minutes until bright green and a little crunchy.
- Serve the röstis with red currant sauce and kale on the side.