This is a delicious hearty winter salad, full of roasted sweet potato and carrots, cumin seeds as well as butter beans, crunchy kale and pretty pink radishes and finally finished off with a zesty basil dressing
Ingredients: 1 parsley root, 100g purple chantenay carrots, 1/2 a sweet potato, 10g basil, garlic, 70g radishes, handful of kale.
Larder: 1 tin of butter beans, 100g quinoa, 1tsp cumin seeds/powder, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp honey, 5-6 tbsp oil, pinch of salt.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Peel and chop the parsley root, sweet potato and chantenay carrots into small chunks and place in a large roasting tin. Drain and rinse the butter beans and add to the roasting tin.
- Drizzle with olive oil; add cumin powder or seeds, a pinch of salt and stir to coat veggies and butter beans. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Make a dressing by combining together minced garlic clove, chopped basil, 4 tbsp oil, lemon juice and honey. Adjust proportions to taste.
- Finely chop the kale, and slice the radishes, pour over the dressing in a salad bowl, mix well so kale is coated and set aside to marinade.
- Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions.
- When veggies are cooked and butter beans slightly crisping, remove from the oven, add to the salad bowl with kale and radishes and mix in the cooked quinoa.
- Serve while still warm.
Baby parsnips are the sweetest! Not only are they tiny and cute but also lovely and sweet to taste. Combined with the star anise, this is a delicious and slightly different stir fry perfect for this time of year. Just remember that those tiny chillies will pack a punch, so use a small amount and add according to taste.
Ingredients: 1 clove of garlic, 2 shallots, 12g ginger, 1 red thai chilli, 100g cavolo nero, 1 carrot, 4-5 baby parsnips, 1 star anise, handful of fresh coriander.
From the larder: 175g egg noodles, 2 tbsp vegetable oil, 1-2 tbsp soy sauce, juice of ½ a lime (optional extras: prawns or steak and rice wine vinegar)
- Prepare all your veggies before you start cooking. Finely chop the garlic, shallots, ginger and ¼- ½ chilli. Chop the cavolo nero and slice the parsnips and carrots into thin matchsticks approximately 3 cm long.
- Start cooking the noodles at the same time as you start stir-frying the veg.
- Heat a glug of vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the star anise, shallots and chilli and stir-fry for about 1 minute and then add the steak or prawns, if using, and fry for about a minute.
- Add the carrot and parsnips and continue stir-frying for another few minutes until softening but so they still have a crunch. Finally add the cavolo nero and stir-fry until wilted. Stir in the soy sauce and if you have it a small splash of rice wine vinegar.
- Drain the noodles, and stir into the stir-frying veg for a final minute before serving.
- Remove the star anise and serve with a generous squeeze of lime and torn coriander leaves on top.