Beautiful borlotti beans are here in all their pink mottled glory! We love them in this delicious summer tagine.
Ingredients: 10g ginger, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 shallots, 1 small courgette, 3-4 chantenay carrots, 130g borlotti beans, 3-4 dried apricots, small bunch of coriander.
Larder: 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp cumin powder, 1tsp honey, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, 150ml water, 120g couscous, oil, salt and pepper (optional extra: yoghurt).
- Peel and dice the shallots, garlic and ginger.
- Sauté the shallots, garlic and ginger in heavy bottomed saucepan for a few minutes until shallots are soft.
- Stir in the cinnamon and cumin powder and cook for a minute.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, water, pinch of salt and honey.
- Chop the courgette and carrots into chunks and shell the borlotti beans, and then add to the saucepan.
- Chop the dried apricots into quarters or eighths and add to the saucepan.
- Season and simmer covered until the beans are soft (about 25 minutes). Stir occasionally and add more water if needed.
- While tagine is cooking, make the couscous. Place couscous in a bowl and pour over an equal volume of water. Cover with a plate or cling film and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve the tagine with couscous and torn coriander on top and a dollop of yoghurt if desired.