Enjoy this stovetop lasagne, a little twist on the traditional lasagne, which can sometimes feel like a little bit of an investment of time and effort. This stovetop version is fun to assemble and doesn’t require any oven time, so supper can be on the table in minutes.
Ingredients: 2 cloves of garlic, 2 shallots, 40g wild garlic, 2 baby aubergine, 70g button and 70g chestnut mushrooms.
From the larder: 1 tin of tomatoes, 1tsp balsamic vinegar, 6 sheets of lasagne, olive oil, salt and pepper and 150g ricotta.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil for the lasagne sheets.
- Chop the shallots and garlic and slice the mushrooms and aubergine. Spread the slices of aubergine out and sprinkle with salt. Leave to stand and when ready to add to the pan, dab with a tea towel or paper towel. (Salting aubergine can remove bitterness)
- Add a glug of oil to a sauté pan, add the garlic and shallots. Sauté gently for 2 minutes and then add the aubergine and mushrooms and continue to cook for 5 minutes so that mushrooms and aubergines soften.
- Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, oregano and balsamic vinegar and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, place all 6 sheets of lasagne into the boiling water and cook for approximately 7 minutes. When soft, carefully remove one at a time as you assemble the lasagne on 2 plates. Do not drain, instead remove sheets from the water one at a time.
- To assemble: place one sheet of lasagne on each plate, spoon and spread out some of the veggie sauce onto the lasagne sheet followed by 2 spoonfuls of ricotta. Repeat with the layers with the next 2 sheets of lasagne on each plate so that you end up with 3 layers on each. Enjoy!